Readable English Policies
- Use License
- Permission is granted to utilize the features of this SAS for the duration of the term of your subscription. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any portion of the SAS or web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or ‘mirror’ the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Readable English at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
The materials provided as part of the SAS website are provided ‘as is’. Readable English makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Readable English does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Readable English be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on the Readable English website, even if Readable English or an authorized agent of Readable English has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
- Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on the Readable English website may include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Readable English does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. Readable English may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. Readable English does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
Readable English regularly reviews all of the sites linked to its website, however we cannot be responsible for the updates or changes in contents of any such linked site that are not owned or managed by Readable English. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.
- Governing Law
Any claim relating to the Readable English website shall be governed by the laws of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
The Information Collected
When ordering or registering on our site (including subscribing to our newsletter, register for an event, respond to a survey or fill out a form) or when we receive the business contact information from various marketing events we organize or participate in, we may collect individually identifiable information, namely information that identifies an individual or may with reasonable effort identify an individual (“Personal Information”), such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, user IDs and passwords and contact preferences.
When you use our Service, our servers automatically record certain log file information. These server logs may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, number of clicks and how you interact with links, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
Additionally we log information from games, assessments and other activities you undertake when you use Readable English.
How we Store the Information
When you register, you are given a confidential and unique user ID that is internally generated.
This confidential user ID and all personally identifiable information, such as your name, your financial information and physical address is encrypted and stored in a secure database on a separate machine where all transactions are managed.
All your usage information and other information is indexed against the user ID and not your name.
The information we log is stored in a database in XML or machine code and this data is only available using special software which is not available except to the Readable English Research Team.
What we do with the Information
- We use the Personal Information for legitimate business purposes only. Your personal information will not be sold or exchanged to another company outside our trusted third party service providers who are necessary to the operation of the Readable English platform.
- We may use your email address to communicate to you about any product updates or maintenance periods which may affect your subscription.
- We create summaries of this information for you, the reader, to see how you are performing.
- If you are a supervised reader, we will provide this information to your supervising Teacher or your Parent via their dashboard screens accessible only after they login to Readable English.
- We will analyze what you read and will recommend reading materials based on your interests and your reading level.
- We will use the information we collect for reading research. Usually this will involve creating a database with the results of many users (using ID’s and not names). This will ensure that no data is personally identifiable. We will then run the mathematical programs to help us understand relationships in the data. This will often be done inhouse but may engage bona fide researchers from established research organizations such as universities.
- We may disclose any information you submitted via our software products if we have a good faith belief that disclosure of such information is helpful or reasonably necessary to: (i) comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request; (ii) investigate, detect, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities or other wrongdoing, suspected fraud or security issues; (iii) to establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims; (iv) prevent harm to the rights, property or safety of us, our users, yourself or any third party; or (v) for the purpose of collaborating with law enforcement agencies or in case we find it necessary in order to enforce intellectual property or other legal rights.
With Whom We Share Information
We use third parties, such as cookies* and trackers, to compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interaction to assist us in better understanding our site visitors and so that we can offer better site experiences and tools in the future. These service providers are not permitted to use the information collected on our behalf except for the purpose of providing the services to us. Some of the servers of these third parties may be located outside of the European Union.
* Cookies are small data files transferred to your computer’s hard drive by a website. They keep a record of your preferences making your subsequent visits to the site more efficient. Cookies may store a variety of information, including the number of times that you access a site, registration information and the number of times that you view a particular page or other items on the site. Most browsers are designed to accept cookies but they can be easily modified to block cookies. See your browser’s help files for details on how to block cookies, how to know when you have received cookies and how to disable cookies completely.
In most cases, we will not receive the information these third parties collect but only receive the analysis or results that we requested, and the sole holders of the collected information are the third parties. Below you can find the links to the privacy policies of the third parties we currently use on our site. This list is reviewed and updated periodically.
Apart from the above, we will not divulge your information to a third party without your consent.
The decision to provide information on our site is voluntary and you may withdraw your consent at any time. You may contact us through the Readable English’s Information Technology Department by sending at email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 812-202-6267. However, please be aware that without the ability to collect some personal information, you would not be able to proceed with using the Readable English program.